Monday, November 15, 2010

another day in paradise

Aka..mommy guilt.
Gotta story. Wanna hear it? Here it goes.

On Thursday, Art and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage. Whoa. Did I just type that? Shit. I'm old! Anyways..since it happens to fall on a Thursday, we haven't had any luck in getting a sitter. So we planned on doing brunch and a movie Friday while the kids are at school. Good idea, yes? Well....

Last night after sending the kids to bed, Maya had come to find me--she had a paper in her hand. She tells me she had forgotten to give me the paper earlier. So I take it from her and kinda scan it. Immediately I knew what it was, and it broke my heart. A field trip to Kingsbury Hall to watch a play of Frog and Toad; Mayas favorite favorite characters from her favorite books. Cue puppy dog eyes and her sweet little voice "momma can you pweeese come wiff me?".
Argh. I'm a sucker for the eyes. The sweet baby voice; she is still my baby after all. I scootch her off to bed, and with my head hanging low, I go to relay the news to Art. Of course he has this brilliant idea that we should both go on the field trip. Make it a date. While I think its sweet, I didn't quite imagine spending our anniversary with so many kids!

So tonight I sat Maya down and explained the situation. She paid very close attention, nodding along as I explained why it was a special day for daddy and I. Then when I'm done, I asked her what she thought. So she took a deep breath and said " I think you should spend your anniversary with daddy". And then it happened. The biggest, wettest crocodile tear this side of the Mississippi. SIGH. She is good.

So, here I sit, still not knowing what to do. Break my daughters heart...or spend my anniversary in the company of at least a hundred 2nd graders?


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very sweet doll you have. I like this.
http://www.jaypeeboutique.com/property-in-noida.aspx